Certificate in Cyber Security to be offered at Charlotte Center beginning Sept. 15
Community | Comments Off
Office of Communications and Public Relations
August 20, 2015
One of the largest and most dynamic pieces of Enterprise Risk Management today is the emerging field that involves protecting organizations from threats as varied as nation-states, cyber criminals, national and international business competitors and hacktivists. Data breaches and even physical damage from cyber activity are daily headlines in the news. Through a four evening course taught by experienced practitioners and focused on case studies, lecture, technical workshops and simulations, attendees will receive foundational knowledge in security models, risk assessment and response, secure systems development, crisis management and legal, regulatory and compliance issues.
With a current average timeline between breach and discovery at 210 days, cyber attacks are one of the fastest growing potential threats to organizational data viability, and as a result represent one of the most aggressively forecasted employment needs. Companies see this as a when – not if – proposition, and are actively increasing their resources devoted to the areas of prevention and crisis management.
Registration for the four-week program that begins Sept. 15 closes on Monday, Aug. 31.
Students who complete the program may wish to pursue the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP®) credential awarded by the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium or the Certified Information Security Manager (CISM®) designation awarded by the Information Systems Audit and Control Association. Students should research each designation to become familiar with the certification requirements and process.
What you’ll learn
- Overview of cyber security (Perpetrators, the language, areas impacted)
- Applied cyber security and crisis management (data management, policy development, incident response programs and third party management)
- Application of security architecture and next generation security platforms
- 360 degree security evaluation of the enterprise
Who is this for?
The program is designed for:
- Executive-level individuals who are involved in enterprise risk management – particularly risk management policy-setting activities – and those experts who provide technical knowledge and advice to leadership involved in establishing cyber security strategy and policies. The program is particularly relevant to those in the C suite (CEO, CFO, CTO, CIO, CISO, CAO, CGC), Board of Directors and Audit Committee and individuals involved in the implementation of strategies to protect the organization’s networks and data.
- Business managers or analysts responsible for business continuity, risk management, or data infrastructure
- Current cybersecurity professionals seeking strategy and leadership skills
- Information technology practitioners seeking new skills in cybersecurity management
Career & Industry Outlook
President Obama has identified cybersecurity as one of the most serious economic and national security challenges we face as a nation, but one that we as a government or as a country are not adequately prepared to counter. In light of the risk and potential consequences of cyber events, strengthening the security and resilience of cyberspace has become an important homeland security mission.
In a recent survey of U.S. technology and healthcare executives nationwide, it was found that companies believe cyber attacks are a serious threat to both their data and their business continuity.
- 98 percent of companies are maintaining or increasing their cybersecurity resources and of those, half are increasing resources devoted to online attacks this year
- The majority of companies are preparing for when, not if, cyber attacks occur
- Only one-third are completely confident in the security of their information and even less confident about the security measures of their business partners
In regards to the career outlook for cybersecurity professionals, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupation Outlook Handbook, employment of information security analysts is projected to grow by 37 percent over the next several years, which is substantially higher than average..
Registration, Attendance and Scheduling
Participants who attend all four sessions will earn a Certificate in Cyber Security from Wake Forest University. The classes will be held on Tuesday evenings starting at 6 p.m. and run for 2 to 3 hours in length, depending upon the session. The session schedule for fall 2015 is as follows:
- Session 1: Overview of Cyber Security – September 15
- Session 2: Cyber Security Technically Applied – September 22
- Session 3: Applied Cyber Security and Crisis Management – September 29
- Session 4: A 360° Security Evaluation of the Enterprise – October 6
CLE approval is pending.
Participants must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent. A TOEFL examination for non-native speakers of English is not required but students are expected to read, write and comprehend English at the graduate level to fully participate in and gain from the program. Any requests for exceptions to these requirements must be made in writing to the program director Ken Middaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
David Furr (’80, JD ’82)
David is an attorney with 33 years of experience managing and resolving complex business issues. A graduate of Wake Forest University and Wake Forest University School of Law, David also serves on the North American Advisory Board of Capgemini.
Chris Swecker (JD ’81)
Chris is an attorney and subject matter expert in cyber and financial security with over 24 years of experience with the FBI (responsible for nine divisions, including cyber) and 3 years of experience as CSO, Bank of America. A graduate of Appalachian State and Wake Forest University School of Law, Chris also serves as Chairman of the Governor’s Crime Committee.
Rick is the Chief Security Officer for Palo Alto Networks, a leading enterprise security platform to enterprises, service provider, and government entities worldwide. Founded in 2005, Palo Alto Networks has grown to over $800M in revenues. Rick is a graduate of West Point and the Naval Academy post-graduate school.
Rick is Chief Engineer of Rocus Group, LLC and is an expert on network and network security with 20 years of experience. In the last 5 years, Rick has consulted for many companies across the country, including several Fortune 100 companies, helping them architect and implement network and security infrastructures in new data and call center initiatives.
Pete is CEO of Rocus Group, LLC, a leading internet provider of cyber consulting and IT services. Prior to Rocus, Pete was a managing partner at Vaco, a national consulting and direct hire firm. A graduate of Wake Forest University, Pete is also a licensed CPA.
Chris is an attorney and subject matter expert in employment related matters with over 10 years of experience forming and implementing compliance programs and integration with employment policies, procedures and agreements. Chris is a graduate of the University of South Carolina and the University of South Carolina School of Law.
Tuition and Program Fees
Tuition is $2,000 and includes all materials (readings, copies of presentation materials, etc.) needed for the session. Wake Forest faculty, staff and alumni receive a 10% discount. Certain partner companies also receive a discount (email email@example.com to determine whether your organization receives a discount). There are also scholarship opportunities available upon request (email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information).
Wake Forest University Charlotte Center
200 N. College Street, Suite 150
Charlotte, NC 28202
Parking is available at no charge in the Wake Forest Charlotte Center parking deck, which is located on 5th Street adjacent to the Wake Forest Charlotte Center.
While non-credit professional certificate programs do not qualify for federal financial aid, prospective students should consider the following for tuition payment:
- Seek employer funding or reimbursement
- Apply for a private education loan
- Take advantage of tuition discounts for alumni, groups, and select partner organizations
Registration and Payment Form
This certificate is an open enrollment program. Application is not required. Course registration is complete when payment is processed and you receive a confirmation email. In order to register, you will need to render payment. Please begin registration when you are ready to render payment.
Registration Deadline: August 31, 2015
Cancellation of Certificate Programs
This course is offered contingent upon sufficient enrollment. If a course must be cancelled, all registered students will be notified at least five (5) calendar days before the course’s start date. All registered students will receive a 100 percent tuition refund. No fees will be charged for cancelled courses.
Refunds are computed based on the date and time that a student’s request to withdraw is received in writing to the program director. Prospective students who withdraw prior to the start of a course will receive a full refund of tuition paid.
For More Info
For more information or to speak with a program advisor, please send an email to email@example.com or call 980-244-9276.