Posted: May 4th, 2020
As coronavirus restrictions have many employers to shifting internship and other strategies due to the unfolding economic crisis, Wake Forest Law has created professional development opportunities for rising second- and third-year JD students with new Summer Intensives.
“Summer Intensives are designed to give our law students the opportunity to develop the hard skills employers need,” said Jane Aiken, dean of Wake Forest Law. “We are rising to the challenges COVID-19 brings and have created proactive ways our students can gain the real-world experience that comes from concentrating on distinct practice areas of the law.”
The one-week, one-credit online courses harness the industry experience of Wake Forest Law faculty and alumni.
- Business litigation skills with Bettie Sousa (JD ’81)of Smith Debnam
- Leadership and adversity with Wake Forest Law’s Kenneth Townsend
- Business negotiation in a time of crisis with Rich McPherson (JD ’10) of McGuire Woods
- Transactional practice skills with Jason Huff (JD ’99) of King & Spalding
- Collaborative law with John Sarrat, President/NC Civil Collaborative Law Association
- Artificial Intelligence and the practice of law with Matt Miller of SEAL Software
“We are creating rich experiences for our JD students,” said Ellen Murphy (JD ’02), associate dean for strategic initiatives. “These synchronous courses offer up-to-the-minute legal knowledge from instructors who are industry experts. Additionally, the instructors and guest speakers can offer networking opportunities along with the practical skills.”
Summer Intensives begin May 19 and run through June 26 at this time. Murphy said additional courses may continue to be developed for the second half of the summer.
Thanks to generous donors, the tuition for Summer Intensives has been discounted for Wake Forest Law students. Students who meet minimum enrollment requirements may also be eligible for summer financial aid. Learn more about Summer Intensives at wfu.law/sum20.
Media contact: Stephanie Skordas, Director of Marketing, Communications, and Public Relations firstname.lastname@example.org or 336.578-5719.